The beautiful rose has always been attributed deeper meanings and used to deliver messages between lovers and friends. This habit literary bloomed during the strict Victorian era when passionate messages could be exchanged between lovers in the form of innocent looking bouquets. The meaning of roses turned into an advanced language and even the most intricate message could be shaped into a floral arrangement. The rose color meaning could be enhanced or modified by other factors than the meaning of rose colors, such as the number of roses or how fully blooming roses were combined with rose buds. The message of a single rose meaning love could thus be turned into “I love you but you are too young” by sending the single red rose together with white rose buds. The symbolic meaning of roses do however stretch back much longer than to the Victorian era and early civilizations such as the Romans used flowers to communicate feelings. The meaning of the number of roses has often been connected to the holy numbers in the Bible, such as three, seven and twelve. One dozen of red roses is still considered as one of the ultimate love signs.
Today, the Victorian era is long since passed but we still turn to flowers when we want to express our true feelings in a personal manner. Roses can sometimes say more than thousand words; they can apologise after a fight when we feel miserable and tongue tied and they can offer consolation at a funeral when words are not enough. The true meaning of rose colors is still not forgotten, even though many of us speak only a fraction of that rich language developed long ago. Why not enhance your vocabulary and start sending your loved ones affectionate
messages in the form of beautiful roses – just like the Romans and Victorian lovers did.
(Clicks the links for more information about the meaning of that type of roses)
- The meaning of white roses is perceived as pure and bright, and by giving away a white rose a suitor says “You are heavenly” and “I respect and look up to you” to the object of his affection.
- The meaning of Red Roses is love while a bouquet of red and white roses is a symbol of unity. The same thing is true for a bouquet of white roses with red edges. It is a signal of loyalty and kinship. “You and I are one” and “We stand united”. Just like the red rose, the purple roses symbolises love but the meaning of purple roses are more a symbol of enchantment and love and first sight than the ever lasting love represented by red roses.
- The meaning of Pink roses are generally viewed as a symbol of refinement and elegance. They have however also been used to send more elaborate messages, where the different pink shades were attributed different meanings. The meaning of roses with a deep pink or cerise tone was gratitude and appreciation, while the meaning of a rose with a very light pink shade was sympathy.
- A bouquet of only yellow roses means “try to care”.
- The meaning of Orange roses are enthusiasm and eagerness, a new beginning. The meaning of Peach Roses on the other hand is that something has gone well, a deal has been reached.
- A deep burgundy color on a rose means “Unconscious beauty” or “You are so beautiful without even knowing it”.
- Green roses have existed since 1856 and are a symbol of fertility and fruitfulness.
- The meaning on Black roses is death and new beginnings
- Hybrid Tea roses mean “I will never forget you”.
- The meaning of Blue Roses are that someone is mysterious.
- The meaning of the so called Sweetheart roses is naturally conveyed in their name.
- Pale rose colours have generally been a sign of friendship.
- The rose color meaning is not the only thing capable of sending a message in a rose bouquet. If you choose to send rosebuds instead of blooming roses, it symbolizes youth and innocent love. Pink and red rose buds say “You are young and lovely” or “I love your youthfulness”, while white rosebuds means “Too young to love”. The moss rosebud was used as a first confession of love.
- A full blown rose that is placed together with two rose buds will signify secrecy.
- If white roses have been allowed to whither it means “Beauty is fleeting”.
- If two roses are wired together to form one single stem it is a signal of engagement and coming marriage.
- A crown consisting of roses is a symbol of virtue. Crowns formed from roses have been used at weddings to signify purity.
- Rose leaves symbolises hope and optimism.
- The meaning of roses can also be affected by their number. A single rose is a symbol of simplicity, and one single red rose is a well known way of saying “I love you”. If you instead combine one red rose with several yellow roses, it will stand for joviality and be an invitation to jolliness and fun.